Thursday, February 17, 2011

Incident Poem Response

Once riding in old Baltimore,
Heart-filled, head-filled with glee,
I saw a baltimorean
Keep looking straight at me.

Now I was eight and very small,
and he was no whit bigger,
and so I smiled, but he poked out
his tongue and called me, "nigger."

I saw the whole of Baltimore
From May until December,
of all the things that happened there
That's all I remember.

Above is a poem called "An Incident" by Countee Cullen.
This poem shows someone being incredibly mean and when you think about why, it's barely anything.
If this happened to most other people this poem would be a lot more angry. The fact that the author, Countee Cullen writes about the incident as if it had not happened yet while in reality it had, and even in the end he doesn't seem angry at that boy at all, he just seems to sort of accept it as something that happened, not anything that drastically changed his life though he did say it was all that he remembered. I think that writing about the incident was his way of getting rid of unresolved feelings and thoughts that remained from the day that it happened. You have to be very strong to do that and i think that most people would maybe categorize the people the same race of the boy that called him "nigger" just as the boy hated all black people.

No comments:

Post a Comment